The life cycle
It is essential to understand their lifecycle to control fleas and be aware of the limitations some treatment methods will have.
The adult flea
The Flea Adult is the only Lifecycle stage that feeds on blood. When someone is experiencing flea bites in the home or workplace, it is obvious there are Adult Fleas present. Immediately after a flea has completed a blood feed from the host, it will utilise the nutrients and begin laying eggs. This will occur very quickly. And, the Flea will lay many eggs at one time. A couple of thousand Flea eggs may be laid by a single flea in the course of its life!
The flea egg
Flea Eggs are smooth and white. A flea can lay about 50 a day after a blood feed. Following gestation an egg will hatch into larvae in less than one week.
The Flea larvae
The Flea maggot is very small and difficult to see. Therefore, they will not be obvious, remaining out of sight, hidden in crevices, between floorboards, carpet edges, vinyl seams and edges, mattresses, and furniture folds. Larvae feed on flea faeces and other biological matter.
The final larvae stage of the flea is the Pupae. A highly protective cocoon in which the adult flea emerges when disturbed. Vibration or heat can signal the flea to emerge and jump onto its first host. This can occur any time after a week in the cocoon! However, if undisturbed, fleas can lay dormant in this pupae stage for up to a year. Such as in a vacant house or building.
Many Flea control products on the market frequently used for flea control only kill adult fleas. This is why often there is a dead zone for a few weeks before activity can start again after the first treatment.
Because adult fleas only make up 5% of the total flea population, larvae, eggs & Pupae making up for the other 95%, insecticide sprays with knockdown alone kill not much more than 5% of the entire population, leaving the eggs, larvae and pupae to continue to morph eventually into adult fleas.
This is a common reason aerosol Flea control bombs are often ineffective or have limited results.
EcoSan Solutions use longer lasting residual control in all our Flea control products. This ensures Fleas hatching from Eggs and Pupae will be killed even weeks later.