Water Damage Restoration Questions And Answers

Water Damage Restoration Frequently Asked Questions And Answers

Water is capable of incredible damage in just a short period of time. But, no matter the cause or the extent of the damage, to prevent future problems, mitigation should be handled by a licensed, insured professional water restoration contractor. If you are a property owner that has a water damage loss, the following information may help answer some of your questions.

Ecosan professional restoration cleaning

Frequently Asked Questions

Emergency flood call outs are always prioritised. Please give EcoSan Solutions a call on 0800326726 or email us Hello@ecosan.co.nz

We will discuss your situation with you and determine the best solutions and schedule a visit to assess the water damage and carry out first aid to minimise secondary damage as much as possible.

It is best to call a professional flood restorer to get advice first. A wet and dry vacuum can be used to extract excess water and air movers and dehumidifiers can be hired from hire center’s etc.

Flooding situations often have hidden issues which may result in expensive repairs later down the track. EcoSan Solutions have to appropriate tools to inspect sub surface conditions and the experience to resolve any issues.

Damage to wood flooring, walls, and carpet textiles can become more difficult to resolve if not dealt with properly from the beginning.

It is best to contact your insurance provider and check on your policy details. Comprehensive contents insurance usually covers furniture and personal items damaged by an unforeseen accident or environmental incident. This usually includes carpets too, however some policies may have limitations.

House/Building insurance normally will cover water damage to the building structure such as walls, electrical or structural flooring.

If you are a tenant renting the building and the flood was a result of a tap left running or a washing machine you own which has leaked, you may need to claim against your comprehensive contents policy which usually includes liability insurance for the building you are renting.

If the flood is caused by a burst pipe in the building, this will likely be the responsibility of the land lords building insurance.

Renters should inform the landlord in either case if a flood has occurred.

*Insurance companies may reject a claim caused by gradual damage. If you have a flood or over wet carpets, have a professional resolve the issue promptly, insurance claims are for accidental and spontaneous incidents only.

We are experienced with insurance claims and are here to help you.

Safety first; Don’t panic.

Check for electrical hazards such as wet power points and devices.

Be aware of slip hazards as floors may be extra slippery.

If the flood may have sewerage mixed in such as from toilet back flow it may be best to avoid the area completely. Sewerage can be hazardous to the health.

If the flood is from fresh water, do what you can to minimise the water spreading. This may include mopping, Dry and wet vacuuming if you have one, relocate water sensitive furniture out of the affected area.

Call a professional flood restorer – EcoSan Solutions can give you the right advice.

You may need to contact your insurance agent and your property manager if you have one.

Drying time will depend on the extent of the damage and saturation, and how long the property has been exposed to water.
The first step is to remove all standing water from flooring, wet carpet and other affected materials. Once the water is removed, dehumidifiers and other specialized equipment are used to dry the areas. If necessary, carpet and/or padding may also be removed for proper drying. In isolated cases, water damage to your home or business takes two days to a week to dry. If your property has been exposed for an extended period of time, or serious flooding, multiple tradesman may be required, such as electricians, builders, plumbers etc. I may take an extended period of time in these cases.
In most cases, if your carpets were saturated by clean water, and if we get to them right away, they can be dried, sanitized and cleaned without damage. But, if the carpet has been wet for an extended period such as several weeks, water damage may cause delamination (the backing separates from the fibers) discolouration and eventually microbial growth causing mould and rot. This may require replacement. Also, if the water was from a black water source like sewage, the carpet will most likely need to be replaced.
No, our water damage restoration company use of anti-microbials or biocides during flood restoration services to prevent the growth of mold, mildew, and other contaminants. We always aim to use safe and effective anti-microbial solutions and can provide you with the Material Safety Data Sheets for more info. We recommend that you keep yourself, children, and pets away during the drying process.
This depends on the extent of the flooding and if there are health risks in the water. If the area is isolated, relocation is normally not needed. There may be issues with tripping hazards and noise from drying equipment which will need to be considered.
Odours are normal during the drying process and sometimes will increase as the drying is almost complete. Any odours caused by flooding generally dissipate once the carpet and building materials are completely dry.

If after a flood, you can notice a damp or musty odour, this may be an indication the building or textiles have not dried completely.

If you ignore the moisture, mould can begin to grow although this can take longer than most people believe. If however, there is already mould present in the building or the carpets as a result of historical flooding or moisture issues, flooding will increase this issue. It’s very important to consult a professional company when you experience house flood damage of any type.

If you have questions in addition to these most common questions for water damage restoration, or you experience water damage to your Auckland area home or business and you need expert, please call us on 0800 326 726.

Have a question?